At Ashburton Uniting, we value growing together in discipleship and serving the community, following God’s call.
We enjoy social activities, like our annual camps. There are opportunities to get to know each other better over meals, such as regular Sunday lunches, and occasional men’s or women’s breakfasts on a Sunday morning. There are also special interest groups, including a table tennis group and a UCAF group.
The “Saturday nighters” are a group of adults who have been meeting to listen to speakers and share fun times together once a month, for around 50 years! They are a wonderfully open and welcoming group.
As well as the youth group and AKA (for children), we have three adult study groups, in which small groups of people gather to study the Bible and discuss life issues together. They meet on Monday afternoons, Tuesday nights and Friday mornings.
We deeply value prayer, and have a prayer meeting on the second and fourth Sundays of the month before worship. We also have morning and evening prayer chains – any pastoral need can be referred to the prayer chain, who are faithful in keeping our prayers before God.
We seek to serve the community in a variety of positive ways. These include:
- providing accommodation to a household of people with mild intellectual disabilities (our “One One One” project)
- providing mentors for a Kids Hope Aus. program at Solway Primary School
- a ‘mainly music’ program on Wednsday mornings during school terms
- playgroup on Tuesday mornings for pre-school age children
- supporting the ministry of chaplains in schools
- providing regular visits for devotional times to the nearby aged-care residence, Iris Manor; and
- visiting and supporting residents of the nearby supported residential service, Coorondo.
We also are pleased to run the popular introductory course on Christian faith, Alpha, whenever there is a group ready to explore it. Even if you don’t know anything at all about Christian faith, if you would like to find out about it this is an easy way to discover the answer to lots of ‘frequently asked questions’ in a friendly, open atmosphere. Please let us know if you are interested! More details on Alpha can be found at www.alphaaustralia.org.au